Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Artwork, Some Bus Dancing, A Move, Family, Food and Excitement


Today I had to go pick up the form for the dispensa de disparidad de culto (so we can get married in the Catholic church even though I am not Catholic) and on my way I got off at the Domingo Orue stop. I walked over to Arequipa Ave. and during the transfer I noticed that there was artwork on a lot of the buildings. It turns out that it is called El Museo de los Vecinos and a lot of property owners have permitted the front of their buildings to be converted into public galleries. It is super cool and while I didn't a camera on me, if you look up Museo de los Vecinos Domingo Orue, you will find pictures of it.

I was on the bus today and there was an upbeat song playing. This guy next to me started seat dancing and smiling. I couldn't help but crack a smile as well and move my head along to the beat. It was an excellent moment.

The South American Explorers Clubhouse is moving to a new location. The lady who was helping with the move said they are going to be on Larco. Sounds good to me. As long as they are still around and I can still get access to their awesome book exchange I will be content. Oh and of course their mailing address makes life a lot easier for me when it comes to getting mail and packages. My dad sent a magazine over 6 weeks ago and I have received no word of it getting to Lima. However, given that SAE is in the process of moving, a notice might have come but they weren't able to send me an email. I will have to check into it. I don't want to loose all faith in the mail system here. It is peculiar that I received everything that was ever sent to me in Cusco but there have been two things that never got to me since I have been in Lima. You think it would be the other way around.

We have been so spoiled these past couple of days. Jesus, Marco's brother has had vacation and he has spent a fair amount of time hanging and playing video games with his nephew. He has also made some delicious food including cuy (guinea pig) and pollo estofado (chicken with a tomato sauce). I was going to make lasagna for everyone this past weekend but ended up only making it for my mother and law and myself since Marco and Gabriel got sick from the McDonalds they ate the night before. And everybody worries that they will get sick in Peru because of the water or the food not being cleaned well. It doesn't surprise me one bit that McDonalds made them sick. Fast food is pretty toxic.

Anyway, I am thinking of making eggplant parmesan. It's been a while since I made it and I think it would be good for Gabriel to eat more vegetables. Look at me going into mom mode. I can't guarantee that he will like it but I can guarantee that he has never been served it before.

Something that I have been doing lately is reading news that it published via Peru This Week. I love that it is not just about the atrocities and horrific things that have happened during the week but cool thins like a man giving 14,000 dollars back to a Chinese tourist in Nazca. I think that people really want to get more news about exciting and positive things that happen in the world, not just the scary and sad things. Of course, the more sensational a story, the more people will eat it up right?

I am getting more and more excited about everyone coming Peru. I cannot wait to do some sightseeing and hanging with the family. This weekend we are headed to the reception hall to have a tasting and get the final decisions made and paid. Marco and I have decided that we are going to have everything we can possibly get done by the end of this month. So far so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment