Friday, July 18, 2014

Te de Señoras 2014

I have to write about the te de señoras and the dinner for material de guerra that happened last week. It has been a month full of celebrations and I have to make sure to get them all written down! The best one is to come with a great celebration in Asheville North Carolina in which two wonderful people are going to get married! Hurray!

On Thursday afternoon I made my way over to the Circulo Militar to the Te de Señoras of Material de Guerra. If translated it would be the Tea for the wives of ordinance officers. We were greeted by the wife of the general who represents material de guerra and she gave us a gold pin that has a heart on it with the insignia of material de guerra. It was a very sweet door prize and I will definitely wear that pin when Marco gets promoted to Lt. Coronel. I found my girlfriends Liz and Suhail who had saved a seat for me. Thank goodness they did because there ended up being at least another whole tables´ worth of ladies who had to be seated as extras at the tables since there wasn´t enough space. Not everyone RSVPed like they should have. Last year there were tables left empty and raffle prizes for almost everyone who came but this year they wanted to make sure not to spend as much or have any empty tables. I find that it is more embarrasing if you don´t have enough tables but it all worked out. We ended up with 11 at our table when we started out with 6. Oh well!

We danced and ate and danced some more. I love love love how everyone gets up and dances as soon as the food is done being served. There was a toast with pisco sours and wine at each table but by no means is it necessary to get tipsy before getting on the dance floor. I love that. The music was decent but the singers we just OK. At one point, one of the girls try to sing I Will Survive in English and ended up singing lots of la la las because she didn´t know the words. My girlfriends told me that I should get up and sing. Haha. I do love karaoke!

Throughout the dinner the general´s wife got up and presented raffle prizes to 50 lucky women and I was fortunate enough to be one of them. I would guess there were about 120 wives at the tea so the odds were pretty good but definitely not as good as they were last year. I am pretty sure there were over 60 prizes and only 80 or so wives who showed. (I got super lucky and won a Blu-ray player last year.) This year I received a silver bracelet with flowers and hearts on it. It was super cute and simple and the type of jewelry that I will definitely wear.

This year was a lot more relaxed for me since I knew more of what to expect. Last year I went out and bought a suit jacket because that is what I thought I had to wear. This year I wore a super comfortable brown skirt and shirt. I can´t fit into any of my dress pants anymore anyway. Haha bring on the maternity clothes!!


One of my army wife girlfriends commented on how I have adjusted to married life and the lifestyle of the army. I told her it was either adjust or leave. There really isn´t any other option unless I wanted to be miserable. She explained how there are many wives who complain and complain about not being able to adjust to the lifestyle and they make life hell for their husbands and everyone else around them. That wouldn´t fly for me. I made up my mind last year that while I won´t always be super comfortable with moving, everything needs to be looked at as an adventure. Plus, I have the most amazing husband who makes it all worth it. My happiness levels have increased exponentially since last year and I chalk it up to making the decision to be happy and find happiness in things everywhere I can. If I don´t like it, I find a way to avoid it and ditch it from my thoughts and just focus on the good things. Optimism is the key to a happy life. Here I am this year with multiple jobs that I love, great friends, a step-son who has grown on me, an amazing husband and a baby on the way. Life is good!

*We also went to the dinner the following Saturday for all of the Material de Guerra officers in Lima and we had a great time dancing and watching traditional dances from Puno and Arequipa. We shared a table with Keith, Marco's promo, and his wife.



No comments:

Post a Comment